Thursday, November 11, 2010

For the love of Critique; and the sake of Sanity.

So I felt this was necessary after the last couple of days i've had; A few reasons why we, as artists and critics, should speak up and speak our minds in class/group critiques: (they are in no particular order)

Un.) Giving honest opinions is always better than just saying "I like it;" It gives the artist something to run with. Something to use.

Deux.) More talking = less boredom. It allows each other to engage in idea brainstorming and further allowing improvement.

Trois.) It keeps the teacher/critique leader from constantly asking for opinons and verbal engagement repeatedly.

Quatre.) It allows for a healthy dose of debate; whether between the artist and a viewer, or between two viewers with differing views. (Personally, I find debate enjoyable)

Cinq.) Say something. Point blank. Talking about the artists work can make the artist feel like all of their work wasn't for nothing. (I find this to be one of the better reasons to speak up; theres nothing i hate more than staying up super hella late,  just for people to be all silent and shit.)

Six.) No feedback is worse than negative feedback. Saying you don't like something, or were expecting something different, is far better than biting your tongue.

Sept.) For the sake of debating, please be honest about what you see. We don't have to absolutely love everything we see, but for the sake of criticism, if you hate it say it. (maybe in a more constructive way, with some adjectives, a few verbs, and maybe even some conjunctions.)


When we open our mouths, we perpetuate a moment of criticism and influence. Without this we can be left questioning and confused, lost and overwhelmed. We don't have to absolutely love everything we see, and we don't have to enjoy it either. As individuals we are entitled to our own opinions, whether people like them or not.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I can't give you extra credit like Dwayne can though. Our class's critiques are slightly mindnumbing, no fault of the instructor. The participation level is saddening. Also, the amount of people who have said they finished their piece last night, didn't spend very much time on it, ran out of time, etc. is ridiculous. Even if you did, don't say it. Rule number one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, this is a part of the country (The South) that strongly pushes the "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all" theory. I agree with most of these things. Debate causes me great anxiety though. But I think that's the only thing that I try to avoid.

    ALSO (I think most people can agree with this): It is basic art-viewing etiquette to NOT TOUCH THE WORK that is displayed. I know that these projects aren't of extremely high value but I literally want to punch people in the jaw when they touch my work without permission. (This is not directed at you Josh btw. It was just on my mind. Hah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points Heidi! I know all to well about keeping my mouth shut if i ain't got shit nice to say. And yeah, people touching others work is entirely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete